Planning Team Wanted to Guide Development Around Bus Rapid Transit
From the City of Apple Valley:
The City of Apple Valley seeks a multi-disciplinary professional consulting team to perform a planning study of Bus Rapid Transit-Oriented Development (BRTOD) opportunities along the Cedar Avenue transitway in Apple Valley, Minnesota. Bus rapid transit (BRT) service will begin operating in 2012 on the Cedar Avenue transitway, the first BRT system to operate in the State of Minnesota. The Apple Valley BRTOD Guide Plan will be used to guide development to create housing, retail, live/work, office and entertainment uses in a compact, mixed-use configuration that takes advantage of the enhanced transit service on Cedar Avenue.
The Apple Valley BRTOD Guide Plan will build upon and implement the City's previous TOD planning efforts which are listed in the attached RFP. The consultant team will produce the following deliverables: a BRT-focused synthesis of recently completed market studies/demographic analyses, design principles/guide plans for development and redevelopment within the station areas, and land use controls/design standards that will implement the design principles/guide plans.
Proposal Submission Deadline: No later than 4:30 p.m. on Jan. 23, 2012
See the attached RFP for more details. Questions concerning the enclosed RFP may be directed to Kathy Bodmer at (952) 953-2503.
Previous and On-Going BRTOD Planning Works: The request for proposal cites the following documents as previous planning work: (Please note that some of these files are very large and will take some time to download).
1. Transit Oriented Land Use Planning and Development Evaluation (Cornejo Consulting and LHB, Inc., 2008).
2. Transit Oriented Development in the Cedar Avenue Corridor (American Institute of Architects - Sustainable Design Assessment Team Report [AIA-SDAT], 2011).
3. 147th Street Station Area Sustainability Master Plan (University of Minnesota Masters Students Capstone Project, 2011).
4. City of Apple Valley Downtown Development Design Guidelines (Resolution No. 1990-243, 1990).
5. Dakota County Cedar Avenue Implementation Plan Update (Dakota County, 2010).
6. Transit Station Market Analysis for the Cedar Avenue transitway in Dakota County, Minnesota (Dakota County, 2011).
7. Bus Rapid Transit and Land Use (Urban Land, ULI, July/August 2010).