Rosemount Irish Out to Score Another Football Postseason Upset
The unseeded Irish, who defeated favored Stillwater and top-seeded Edina in the past two games, will play fifth-seeded Lakeville North in tonight’s Class 6A semifinals at the Metrodome.
The unseeded Rosemount Irish will be going for their third major upset of the postseason tonight when they face fifth-seeded Lakeville North in the Class 6A state semifinal at Metrodome. Game time is 7 p.m.
Over the past two weeks, Rosemount (7-4) has knocked off favored Stillwater, 7-6, in the Section 3AAAAAA-Section 4AAAAAA crossover playoff game and top-seeded Edina, 14-10, in the Class 6A quarterfinals.
Now, the Irish will play Lakeville North (10-1), which avenged its only loss of the season last week by defeating Prior Lake, 23-3, in the state quarterfinals.
Rosemount lost to Lakeville North, 35-0, in the final game of the regular season. That has been the Irish’s only defeat in the past seven weeks, as they won three straight games leading up to the Lakeville North game and have gone 3-0 so far in the postseason.
Leading the offense in the Irish’s victory over Edina were Jackson Erdmann, who completed 14 of 18 pass attempts for 177 yards and one touchdown; Dimitri Williams, with 34 yards and a touchdown on the ground and 81 yards receiving; and Sean Kalinowski, with 72 yards receiving and his team’s other touchdown.
Rosemount trailed 10-0 at halftime before scoring two touchdowns in the third quarter. Edina was driving toward a score late in the game before turning the ball over on downs.
In its victory over Prior Lake, Lakeville trailed 3-0 at the end of the first quarter before scoring 23 unanswered point. Jamiah Newell rushed for two touchdowns.
The winner of tonight’s game will face the winner of the other state semifinal—second-seeded Wayzata plays third-seeded Eden Prairie at 7 p.m. Friday at the Metrodome—in the Prep Bowl on Nov. 23.
Here is a glance at Rosemount’s results so far this season:
ROSEMOUNT (7-4 RECORD)
• Aug. 30 at Apple Valley (Loss, 25-20)
• Sept. 7 vs. Eden Prairie (Loss, 34-7)
• Sept. 14 vs. Bloomington Kennedy (Win, 21-14)
• Sept. 21 vs. Prior Lake (Loss, 17-7)
• Sept. 28 at Eagan (Win, 17-16)
• Oct. 5 at Lakeville South (Win, 12-0)
• Oct. 12 vs. Bloomington Jefferson (Win, 33-7)
• Oct. 17 at Lakeville North (Loss, 35-0)
• Oct. 26 Section 3AAAAAA tournament, vs. Lakeville South (Win, 20-7)
• Nov. 2 Section 3AAAAAA/4AAAAAA tournament at Stillwater (Win, 7-6)
• Nov. 8 Class 6A quarterfinals vs. Edina (Win, 14-0)
• Nov. 15 Class 6A semifinals vs. Lakeville