Spring Officially Arrives in Apple Valley at 6:02 a.m. With Vernal Equinox
Spring is technically here, according to the calendar, but it won't make all our snow magically disappear.
Yes. I know the ground is still covered with several feet of snow accumulated over the winter, but I've got some good news: Spring starts today.
That's right, the 2013 vernal equinox official takes place at 6:02 a.m. CDT.
What's an Equinox anyway?
According to the Farmer's Almanac:
Wednesday, March 20, at [6:02 a.m. CDT], is the Vernal Equinox for 2013. This is the moment when the Sun crosses the Equator and those of us living in the Northern Hemisphere begin to see more daylight than darkness.
According to Wikipedia:
An equinox occurs twice a year (around 20 March and 22 September), when the tilt of the Earth's axis is inclined neither away from nor towards the Sun, the center of the Sun being in the same plane as the Earth's equator. The term equinox can also be used in a broader sense, meaning the date when such a passage happens. The name "equinox" is derived from the Latin aequus (equal) and nox (night), because around the equinox, night and day are about equal length.
Does that mean it's going to warm up now?
Today's forecast high is just 19 degrees. Temps in the mid- to upper-30s are forecast for early next week, according to WeatherBug's forecast for the east metro:
- Wednesday - Hi: 19° - Partly cloudy. Scattered flurries in the morning... Then a slight chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Highs around 20. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 20 percent.
- Wednesday Night - Lo: 4° - Partly cloudy in the evening then clearing. Lows zero to 5 above. Northwest winds 5 to 15 mph.
- Thursday - Hi: 24° - Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 20s. Northwest winds 5 mph.
- Thursday Night - Lo: 7° - Mostly clear. Lows around 5. North winds 5 mph.
- Friday - Hi: 31° - Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 30s. Lows 15 to 20.
- Friday Night - Lo: 18° - Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 30s. Lows 15 to 20.
- Saturday - Hi: 35° - Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 30s. Lows 15 to 20.
- Saturday Night - Lo: 23° - Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow. Lows in the mid 20s.
- Sunday - Hi: 36° - Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Highs in the mid 30s.
- Sunday Night - Lo: 23° - Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow. Lows in the mid 20s. Highs in the mid 30s.
- Monday - Hi: 38° - Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow. Lows in the mid 20s. Highs in the mid 30s.
- Monday Night - Lo: 20° - Mostly cloudy. Lows around 20.
- Easter: It may not seem like it, but now is the time to think about Easter. It's on March 31 this year, and that's only 11 days away.
- Cleaning: It's time start thinking about cleaning our the garage, and rotating the lawnmower back in front of the snowblower. You'll also want to start thinking about rotating shorts, T-shirts and flip-flops in front of sweaters, gloves and boots.
- Gardening: It won't be too long before you'll have to till up the soil in your garden to plant your flowers and vegetables. Hopefully the area's nurseries will be able to dig out soon to sell you the supplies you'll need.
- Baseball: I wonder what's going through the minds of the Target Field groundskeepers these days. They have to figure out a way to get the snow-covered ballfield ready for the Minnesota Twins opening day tilt versus the Detroit Tigers in just 12 days!