Rosemount and Eastview face steep challenges when they play in the Class 6A quarterfinals at the Metrodome, while Apple Valley will play an undefeated team in the Class 5A quarterfinals in St. Paul.
CLASS 6A STATE TOURNAMENT
Rosemount and Eastview are playing their best football of the season at the right time.
Eastview (7-3) has won six of its last seven games, including last Friday’s 36-21 victory over Mounds View. (Click here to listen to an audio archive of that game.)
And, Rosemount (6-4) has won five of its last six games, including last Friday’s 7-6 upset over Stillwater. (Click here to see photos from that game.)
Rosemount will play in the first Class 6A state tournament game ever—this is the first year of the large-school classification—when it meets top-seeded Edina (9-1) at 5 p.m. Thursday.
Eastview faces a challenging opponent of its own, taking on second-seeded Wayzata (8-2) at 5 p.m. Friday. Eastview and Wayzata are familiar with one another, as Wayzata defeated the Lightning, 24-7, in the season's second week.
Four of the eight teams in the Class 6A quarterfinals are from the South Suburban Conference. In additon to Rosemount and Eastview, Lakeville North and Prior Lake—the top two teams in the conference this year—will meet in quarterfinals at 8 p.m. Thursday. Prior Lake handed North its only loss of the regular season.
The quarterfinal winners will play in the semifinals Nov. 15 and 16 at the Metrodome.
Here is a glance at the results of Eastview and Rosemount so far this season:
EASTVIEW (7-3 RECORD)
• Aug. 30 vs. Burnsville (Win, 22-7)
• Sept. 7 at Wayzata (Loss, 24-7)
• Sept. 14 vs. Lakeville North (Loss, 24-7)
• Sept. 21 vs. Eagan (Win, 15-12)
• Sept. 28 vs. Bloomington Jefferson (Win, 35-14)
• Oct. 5 at Apple Valley (Win, 29-26)
• Oct. 12 at Prior Lake (Loss, 34-17)
• Oct. 17 at Bloomington Jefferson (Win, 35-19)
• Oct. 26 Section 3AAAAAA tournament, vs. Burnsville (Win, 42-14)
• Nov. 2 Section 3AAAAAA/4AAAAAA tournament vs. Mounds View (Win, 36-21)
• Nov. 9 Class 6A quarterfinals vs. Wayzata
ROSEMOUNT (6-4 RECORD)
• Aug. 30 at Apple Valley (Loss, 25-20)
• Sept. 7 vs. Eden Prairie (Loss, 34-7)
• Sept. 14 vs. Bloomington Kennedy (Win, 21-14)
• Sept. 21 vs. Prior Lake (Loss, 17-7)
• Sept. 28 at Eagan (Win, 17-16)
• Oct. 5 at Lakeville South (Win, 12-0)
• Oct. 12 vs. Bloomington Jefferson (Win, 33-7)
• Oct. 17 at Lakeville North (Loss, 35-0)
• Oct. 26 Section 3AAAAAA tournament, vs. Lakeville South (Win, 20-7)
• Nov. 2 Section 3AAAAAA/4AAAAAA tournament at Stillwater (Win, 7-6)
• Nov. 8 Class 6A quarterfinals vs. Edina
CLASS 5A STATE TOURNAMENT
Apple Valley’s offense was in high gear during the Section 3AAAAA tournament, as the Eagles (8-2) rolled to a 38-14 victory over St. Louis Park in the semifinals and a 49-21 win over Farmington in last Friday’s section championship game. (Click here to listen to an audio archive of that game.)
Whether the Eagles will continue their offensive firepower in the state tournament remains to be seen, as their quarterfinal opponent is traditional powerhouse Totino-Grace (10-0). Their game is scheduled for 7 p.m. Friday at Griffin Stadium in St. Paul.
In other Class 5A quarterfinal games scheduled for 7 p.m. Friday, Elk River plays St. Thomas Academy at Osseo High School and Mankato West plays Owatonna at Lakeville North. Moorhead and Bemidji play at 6 p.m. Saturday at St. Cloud State University.
The quarterfinal winners will play Nov. 16 and 17 at the Metrodome.
Here is a glance at Apple Valley’s results so far this season:
APPLE VALLEY (8-2 RECORD)
• Aug. 30 vs. Rosemount (Win, 25-20)
• Sept. 7 at Bloomington Jefferson (Win, 30-8)
• Sept. 14 vs. Prior Lake (Loss, 34-26)
• Sept. 21 vs. Lakeville South (Win, 28-27 OT)
• Sept. 28 at Bloomington Kennedy (Win, 35-6)
• Oct. 5 vs. Eastview (Loss, 29-26)
• Oct. 12 at Burnsville (Win, 14-7)
• Oct. 17 at Eagan (Win, 27-10)
• Oct. 27 Section 3AAAAA tournament, vs. St. Louis Park (Win, 38-14)
• Nov. 2 Section 3AAAAA tournament championship vs. Farmington (Win, 49-21)
• Nov. 9 Class 5A quarterfinals vs. Totino-Grace