In children’s books, Johnny Appleseed is often portrayed as a fun, historical fellow who wears a cooking pot on his head and disperses apple seeds wherever he travels. Johnny Appleseed Day, celebrated on Sept. 25 each year, celebrates his birth, life, and generosity.
John Chapman, aka Johnny Appleseed, was a Massachusetts-born philosopher and philanthropist, who, beginning in 1802, wandered through northern and Midwestern states planting apple nurseries. His trees fed many settlers, and he was loved wherever he went.
Now the apple doesn’t fall far from the holiday. Fall brings forth a time for harvest, and apple picking is a fun fall activity that family and friends can do together.
Here is a list of orchards and farm markets within 20 miles of Apple Valley and Rosemount that sell Minnesota-grown apples, according to the Minnesota Deapartment of Agriculture’s MinnesotaGrown.com website:
• Brand Farms — Farmington
• Applewood Orchard, Inc. — Lakeville
• Castle Rock Orchard — Farmington
• Thompson's Hillcrest Orchard — New Market
• Nelson's Apple Farm — Webster
• Novak's Orchard, LLC — Woodbury
• Sweetland Orchard — Webster
• Havlicek's Veseli Vrsek Happy Hill Orchard — Veseli
• Fireside Orchard & Gardens, Inc. — Northfield
• Sam Kedem Nursery & Garden — Hastings
• Carpenter St. Croix Valley Nature Center — Hastings
• Fischer's Croix Farm Orchard — Hastings
• McDougall's Apple Junction — Hastings
• Afton Apple Orchards — Denmark Township
• Whistling Well Farm — Afton
• Elm Tree Farm — Afton
In addition, Pahl’s Market in Apple Valley carries local apples among its ample produce section.
TELL US: How are you going to celebrate Johnny Appleseed Day? Tell us in the comments below.